January 31, 2013

AGE 3

I noticed I hadn't ever experiemented with different rendering methods.. I guess I always thought forward rendering was the only feasible one. Oh well.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about - forward rendering is a pipeline that works per object-basis, while deferred rendering makes all shading in screen space - thus eliminating multiple writes per pixel. This allows more lights and effects to be put on scene, but has othter limitations, like no support for transparent objects and high GPU bandwidth requirement.

For a quick overview about these two, check this link out: Forward or Deferred?

I'm currently working on a bit more dynamic engine - it will have both forward and deferred rendering modes and I will include few kinds of shadow mapping methods. Most likely they'll be PCF , PSSM  and PCSS + I'll try to make clear with SSSS - which will come handy with deferred rendering.

Other thing is that I'll be utilizing a lot what I've learned while I was working, so this version has very different structure - mainly to make it faster and even more extendable.

Of course the basic stuff will be there - LUA scripting, support for most mesh files, freeimage, glew, shaders, PAK, blender exporter...

So far I have established the basic structure and set footing for the new rendering pipeline. I'll also try to make the engine work with most GL versions via fallback system, but I'm still working on how to best make it.

I try to minimize copypasta so that I won't be depending on old architechture and can concentrate on the new one.

I'll keep ya posted.

No comments: